Tuesday, April 25, 2017

CASEY JONES









I had a book about a choo choo train, the engineer was Casey Jones. Obviously, I was a very little girl. In my father's home town of Straitsville, when my parents visited friends and family, lots of family. They always talked about Casey Jones. These adults were talking about my story book.

Years later in Frankfurt, Germany, I was the Community PSNCO, we were closing down the military in Frankfurt, I was all over the place. I spent about a week I was working in an office, I don't remember why, it was a busy time.

There was a retired soldier, married to a German, working as a civilian government employee. He was around ten years older than me. We found we were both from Ohio. He was born and raised in a little town called Straitsville.

WOW! I told him my maiden name. From that point on we were talking about memories of South Eastern Ohio. He said, "Of course, you know who Casey Jones was."

That's when I found out all those adults weren't talking about my story book, they were talking about a real person. Casey was a well-known philanthropist in the area.

Many more years, I am on ancestry looking up my family history, in and around Straitsville, Perry County, Ohio. Yes, I am writing a book, as well. In every city, town, and village, in the USA, you will find people named Jones. I need help.

I found a John, David, George, Clayton, and Joseph Jones. All of them have the middle initial, C. Talk about dead ends. Three were coal miners, one of them a mule driver. A mule driver took the wagon down in the mines where it was filled with coal then he drove it back. Crossed him off my list.

The other two listed as coal miners also were crossed off. David and John look like they may have been rich enough to be the famed Casey Jones.

HELP

I put this on my face book which has numerous relatives I never met but can trace back to my grandparents or in some cases my great grandparents.

Anyone who has ever been to Straitsville, Ohio, maybe for the annual Moonshine Fest, or perhaps you have ancestors from that area, which means you are likely related to me in some form.

If you know anything about this Casey Jones please let me know.

















No comments:

Post a Comment